Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Buy Nothing New Challenge

Are you up for it??? I am! For the whole month of October I'll be buying nothing new!!! And I am hoping the effects of this will last way  beyond October!

Are you guilty of popping a magazine in the shopping trolley at the checkout (that you probably don't need)? Me...always!

A spot of impulse shopping when you see new season clothes in the shops. Me..sometimes.

Do you buy something on sale because it's a BARGAIN and maybe, just maybe you don't really need it?? MUM! I am talking to you... you crazy lady that sees a sale sign a mile away. I've never seen a lady with a walking stick move so fast!!! (Love ya' Mum!)

If you answered yes to ANY of those, then I challenge you to join me in the BUY NOTHING NEW CHALLENGE for the month of October.


Read all about it here.

*Obviously you will be able to buy NEW food and medicines. At our place we'll be talking with the kids about consumerism and talking about this checklist.

Do I really need this?
What is its lifecycle? What went into making it (time, labour, resources)
What are the alternatives?
Where did it come from? How did it get here?
What is its environmental and social impact?
Who benefits from the purchase? What will it do for me?
What's in it? Who made it?
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee this should be easy for me I rarely buy new, I'm a tightwad lol. I'll be linking up from both my blogs.

Vintage Sweetheart said...

I would love to but I'm travelling in October and I will be in the shopping capital of the world!

Good luck though!

E :)

The Provincial Homemaker said...

Oh, I think I might be up for this:)

karlyn Jackson said...

That means I can go overboard on the op shopping right? I need to think about that one.....doesn't count wine does it?? he he!

Max said...

Hmmm, scary but maybe. Would be good for me to stop spending, just to see if I can, and good timing to save a bit of cash too...

Jem said...

I'm definitely going to be keeping this in mind when October hits!

Jem xXx