Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Happy November

And happy Birthday to my Mama who is 68 today! Lulu and I made her a cake. It was easy and delicious. The recipe is from here. I had everything I needed with the exception of butter milk. I used ordinary old full fat milk and it worked just fine! I didn't have a shaker to dust the icing sugar over the top so I used a tea strainer instead. Let's just say I was a bit heavy handed.

As part of my pledge to buy nothing new for October I made her a cushion. Somewhat simple but made with love nonetheless. I used some fabric from my stash and a floral shirt that I thrifted for the backing. Oh gosh I love this backing so much...no zipper to insert, no envelope to stitch...just using the existing button up front from the thrifted shirt. I saw Pip talking about this on 'The Circle' ages ago have had it on my 'to make list' since. It was very well received and it adds a pop of colour to mum's chocolate brown recliner. In the spirit of 'buy nothing new' I had to give up an insert from one of my couch cushions so I guess I'll be looking for a replacement next time I visit Spotlight:)

Front

Back

Wrapped

Mum I love you SO, SO much! 
I do not know what I would do without you! 
You are THERE! ALWAYS! You too Dad!

I am taking a short bloggy break for a few days. Blogtoberfest has me all blogged out.
But I will pop in later tonight tomorrow (sorry!) to announce the winners of my Blogtoberfest Giveaway once we find a hat and chop up little bits of paper with your names on them. Good Luck;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome cushion. Did you follow a tutorial or is it your design?

nicole said...

that cake looks so delicious! and that cushion looks so cute, as well as the packaging :D
happy birthday to your mum and enjoy your break!

Yvette Adams said...

Ohhhhhh chocolate cake! You know how I feel about that!!!!!

The cushion is beautiful and the shirt back is SUCH an awsome, easy back. It's a lovely shirt - I was expecting a men's shirt!

Amanda said...

That cake looks SOOOO delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog, am glad to have now discovered yours :)

ashley said...

Betting your mum was more than pleased with that cushion. It is amazing;)

Cat said...

I bet your Mum loved all the thought and effort that you made to make her day special. xo